Sister Janet Carol Howard
Illinois Nauvoo Mission
P.O. Box 215
Nauvoo, Illinois 62354-0215

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Days

We have sent a lot of the missionaries home that came for 6 mos.,  they were mostly teamsters for the wagons and to take care of the horses, we have 16 beautiful horses you know DRAFT horses, I love them. They are matching sets!!! So their wives went home with them, of course. That brings us to about 100 missionaries here for the winter. We do a show every night so I am on every other night.   

My brother Dr. Carl Howard came a few weeks ago, that was so nice, he helped me with my hip I popped out of whack.

Well today we carved 600 pumpkins for the town's pumpkin parade. The pumpkins will line the street and corn stalks too. Nauvoo is big on pumpkin days so we missionaries participate for good relations and FUN!!!  I am going to be in the parade as a Christmas person!  You know - Big red bows, bells on my feet, a wreath on my head that lights up with batteries and a Christmas tree on my back pack, it looks cute and I will hand out candy.

  Well the weather is soooo beautiful now the trees are all in different colors.   I have helped in the yards we had to take out the gorgeous plants and plant tulip bulbs before the frost 24000 bulbs !!! Yes I said 24000, spring will be beautiful.  The trees here are so beautiful all of the fall colors, and the wind, wonderful now but not when it is an ice storm (YES ANOTHER WINTER !! YIKES!)

   Last week there was a inner faith to do and it was our turn to host. This is where 6 different religions, here in Nauvoo, get together to discuss and tell what they believe about a particular subject (7 min. each) ( what is the nature of GOD ) was this month.,  any way I made the carrot cake to be served to the 100+  visitors and it was great .  We decorated the table in fall colors. It was fun to do my old stuff. I didn't get to go because I was in the show that night, I heard it went well.

  Well I'm HAPPY and I love working on the sites and telling people about the history and whatever else they ask, that is the part I love the most. !!!!.    I organized the ladies to make a quilt for our president who is going home in Jan. after 4 1/2 years so this has taken a lot of my spare time, of which there isn't any! It is wonderful, everyone made a patch (80).
 LOVE,  Sister Janet Howard   AKA, MOM!


No comments: